How to find a PAT testing company and what considerations need to be made?
There are thousands of PAT Testing companies in the UK. Therefore, finding the right PAT tester for you can require some research on your part.
Here at Greater Manchester PAT Testing we have written a short guide for what you need to look for and how to find your PAT Tester.
- First and foremost, PAT testing isn’t a legal requirement. However, it is highly recommended by the Health and Safety Executive that a qualified PAT Testing provider conducts your PAT Testing.
- Finding a PAT tester can be easy because the law states the person carrying out PAT testing must be competent. However, using a qualified well trained professional is much safer and can reduce problems in the future.
- The minimum PAT testing charge isn’t always best. However, to get the best value for money try to use a local PAT testing company where possible because this can reduce prices. You don’t always have to use a big company to get the best quality service, a smaller local company can provide the same service providing they are qualified and have the necessary credentials to carry out the PAT testing safely. This can help reduce cost because smaller companies often have reduced overheads.
- Do your own research when searching for your chosen PAT testing provider. Try to avoid using companies that use telephone marketing to gain your custom as they have higher overheads and these costs are usually passed on to their customers. Therefore, try searching the internet using key search criteria to find the best PAT testing company or electrician. For example: “PAT testing company in Manchester” or “Pat Testing near me” and then read about that company to see what services they offer and what accreditations they have.
- Try to use a portable appliance testing company or electrical testing company that has trusted reviews and recommendations from recent customers as this can show a level of competence and high value of service.
- Check to make sure they have the relevant insurance and qualifications to undertake the service that they offer.
- When you find a potential PAT Testing provider. Ask them what checks they carry out on your electrical items and find out what the PAT testing procedure involves. Make sure they’re not just going around doing basic visual checks and sticking stickers on all of the plugs. Ensure essential checks such as checking the plugs, correctly checking fuses, checks with regards to wiring of the plugs as well as some other essential checks such as conducting tests on the Earth and Insulation of the appliance. Different appliance need different levels of testing.
- It’s not all about the number of items a PAT testing engineer can test in a day, it’s about the quality of the tests and that they’re done correctly. A competent, well trained, and experienced PAT Testing Engineer would normally be able to test approximately 150 items per day in a workshop / factory environment, and up to 300 items per in an office / call centre (depending on the layout, access to rooms etc…). Read more about this at PAT testing expert.
- Once you’re happy with your list of chosen PAT Testing provider that’s the time to compare them against each other to ensure your receive a fair price for the services they are offering.
We hope this list helps you in your search for your chosen PAT testing company and that you’re armed with a little bit more knowledge about what to expect.